Durrelliott - News Source For Teenagers
close

Business World

Business World

These fast-food chains have dropped menu items this year — here’s why


Guest experience leader Lusine Zakharyan explains the self-service kiosks inside a McDonald’s.

Lucas Oleniuk | Toronto Star | Getty Images

On Thursday, Taco Bell customers had to say “adios” to some menu items.

The Mexican-inspired chain joins several other fast-food companies scaling back their menus in 2019.

In recent years, as the fast-food industry has struggled to increase customer traffic, some chains have turned to buzzy limited-time offers to get attention. A popular limited-time item, like Taco Bell’s Mountain Dew Baja Blast drink more than decade ago, can become a permanent addition to the menu.

But if a restaurant adds too many, the elongated menu can overwhelm customers, slow down the kitchen and lead to longer drive-thru lines.

“A guest gets line resistance when someone is behind them, and they have to make a quick decision. In the drive-thru, it is the same thing where, not that they are honking, but they are honking in your head,” said Gregg Rapp, a menu engineering consultant.

The general rule of thumb is to have seven or less menu items under each category, Rapp said.

When it comes to deciding what items to remove, menu engineers start by getting rid of the menu items that are unpopular and less profitable.

Even though removed items are usually not bestsellers, Rapp said that there will always be someone who complains about the changed menu. But there’s a simple trick to waylay angry customers.

“What we typically do is keep it in the kitchen for 60 days or so, so we’ll have it available, but then the next time the person comes in, they’ll have forgotten about it,” he said.

Taco Bell

Doritos Locos tacos are arranged for a photograph at a Taco Bell restaurant, a unit of Yum! Brands Inc.

Patrick T. Fallon | Bloomberg | Getty Images

The Yum Brands chain’s menu has a new look. Along with updated combo options, Taco Bell is also removing nine items, including the Cool Ranch and Fiery Doritos Locos Tacos, the Beef Mini Quesadilla and chips and salsa.

The new menu will also highlight bestsellers like the Quesaritos or the Chalupa.

McDonald’s

In the spring, McDonald’s announced a series of changes to its menus as part of a larger strategy to speed up drive-thru times. The Golden Arches has also been trying to focus on its core menu items, like the Quarter Pounder or the Big Mac, which still see strong U.S. sales.

Its late-night menu, which is available from midnight to 5 a.m. at participating locations, no longer includes items like the Filet-O-Fish or buttermilk chicken tenders. The burger chain also nixed its line of premium burgers and told franchisees that they could scale back their all-day breakfast offerings.

McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook told analysts on the company’s second quarter earnings call that drive-thru service times had been trending in the wrong direction for the last three or four years.

Aside from cutting menu items, McDonald’s has also been investing in technology and diagnostic tools to speed up the drive-thru lane. In June, U.S. drive-thru times dropped by 15 seconds.

Jack in the Box

People pass in front of a Jack in the Box restaurant in Laguna Beach, California.

Scott Mlyn | CNBC

Jack in the Box tested cutting low-volume menu items and redundant SKUs at roughly 180 company and franchise stores earlier this year. As a result, service times sped up without hurting sales.

“We’ve been our own worst enemy when it comes to speed of service, as the breadth of our ever-changing menu has added complexity and prep times in our kitchen,” CEO Leonard Comma said on the company’s second quarter earnings call.

The chain, which sells burgers, tacos and egg rolls, began rolling out those changes across its entire system in July as part of a plan to cut service times by one minute by the end of 2021. Items that got the ax include its Monster Tacos, which has already been discontinued once before.

Jack in the Box has turned inward to fix its business after concluding a strategic review in May and deciding against a sale of the company.

El Pollo Loco

An El Pollo Loco restaurant in Lake Forest, California

Scott Mlyn | CNBC

El Pollo Loco said in May that it had reduced its menu by 20% across all of its stores. The Mexican chicken chain discontinued items like the Mexican Cobb Salad, Chicken Fajita Burrito and Chicken Fajita Quesadilla.

“Scaling back our menu by almost 20% enabled us to be more efficient in the kitchen, and to focus on providing great food and service,” CEO Bernard Acoca said in a statement.

Like Jack in the Box, El Pollo Loco executives said that the company did not see transactions fall as a result of the menu simplication.



Source link

read more
Business World

Lyft Updates Safety Policies Amid Sexual Assault Lawsuit



Lyft has updated its safety policies as it faces a lawsuit filed by 14 women who say the company failed to protect them from being sexually assaulted by their drivers while using the ride-sharing app.

On Tuesday, Lyft President John Zimmer announced the changes, which include a feature that requires a company representative to check in with a customer if their ride appears to have an unexplained delay. Lyft will also add an option to call 911 or the company directly from the app during a ride and will require all Lyft drivers to complete additional safety training beginning in the fall.

Any driver who is reported for violating company guidelines will either be removed from the platform or required to have more training, according to Lyft. 

“Bottom line: Safety must be an ongoing focus for everyone in transportation, and it’s our responsibility to continue raising the bar,” Zimmer, the app’s co-founder, said in a statement.

A lawsuit, filed in San Francisco last week, accused Lyft of failing to adequately respond to nearly 100 customer reports of harassment or abuse from their drivers and refusing to report some of those assaults to law enforcement. 

Michael Bomberger, one of the attorneys representing the women in the lawsuit, called Lyft’s policy changes a “cheap public relations stunt” and said the new safety policy would be ineffective at preventing the company’s “assault crisis.”

“Any proposed safety measures should have been implemented years ago when Lyft was aware of the assault crisis in their vehicles,” Bomberger said in a statement to HuffPost. “The proposed changes announced today contain no real measures to prevent sexual assaults and rape.”

Two of the women suing Lyft urged the company to install more effective safety features during a press conference last week. The women called for the company to require in-car cameras, better GPS tracking to automatically alert the company if a driver goes off-course and an in-app panic button. 

Gladys Arce, who said she was kidnapped by her driver and raped at a beach, believes her assault could have been avoided if the company vetted their drivers better and recorded drives on camera.

“Make no mistake: There are serious crimes that must be stopped,” she said last week. “What happened to me must never happen again.”

Bomberger said that over 20 women have contacted his law firm with more allegations of rape and assault in the last five days.

“Lyft has been aware of the staggering number of assaults and rapes that occur in their vehicles for years,” Bomberger said. He accused the company of concealing the true numbers of reports from the public.





Source link

read more
1 2 3
Page 1 of 3
Durrelliott - News Source For Teenagers