The next game to be released is Borderlands 2, returning the player to the world of Pandora and the search for the Vault five years after the events of the first game. Things are worse. The planet is under attack by the Hyperion Corporation and its deranged tyrannical leader, Handsome Jack. Hyperion (more so Jack) seeks to open the vault once again, harness its destructive power, and wipe out all life on Pandora in order to rebuild it from scratch. Four new Vault Hunters align with the four original Vault Hunters and the people of their home base Sanctuary in order to fight back against Jack and bring him down. After brutal battles and numerous major deaths, Jack is defeated, and the world is saved. At the end, a map is uncovered that reveals many Vaults throughout the galaxy, and where there are Vaults, there are Vault Hunters.
During the events of Borderlands 2, most of the characters from the original game return in similar roles. Marcus, Zed, and Scooter return as NPCs who distribute items and vehicles and add Crazy Earl to their ranks. Angel and each of the four playable Vault Hunters from the first game return as major NPCs tied into big story moments. Roland will not be returning for Borderlands 3, as he is killed by Handsome Jack. Angel is also killed in the course of the game.
Confirmed to Return in Borderlands 3
• Sir Hammerlock is a biologist (source needed) on Pandora who simply wants to study Pandora’s wildlife. He lost a few limbs in an encounter with a massive Thresher he affectionately nicknamed “Old Slappy.”
• Mad Moxxi was technically first featured in DLC for the original Borderlands, but plays her first major role in Borderlands 2. The mother of Scooter and Ellie, ex-girlfriend to Handsome Jack and Mordecai (among others), Moxxi loves nothing more than sex and violence.
• Moxxi’s daughter Ellie took up a career as a mechanic far away from Sanctuary in order to get away from her mother’s constant nagging.
• Tiny Tina and her family were sold to Jack to be experimented on, and though her parents died, Tina escaped to live a life of insanity and explosives. Did I mention she’s 13?
• Zer0 belongs to the assassin class and works as a killer for hire. He is an excellent marksman, blade wielder, and is also a number.
• Maya is the game’s siren who was exploited by a cult on her home world, escaping to set out and discover the truth about her power.
Unconfirmed for Borderlands 3
• The Soldier class, Axton fills Roland’s shoes as the weapons expert and the owner of a Sabre Turret, with which he has a questionable relationship.
• Salvador is a Pandora resident, born and raised, which explains his penchant for violence. He belongs to the Gunzerker class, which means he can dual wield any two weapons in the game.
• Angel, the Guardian Angel from the first game, is revealed to be a siren and Jack’s daughter. She was forced to trick the Vault Hunters into doing what Jack wanted while he imprisoned her and used her power as a siren to charge a Vault Key. She eventually convinces the Vault Hunters to kill her in order to stop Jack’s plan.
• It’s hard to sum Handsome Jack up in only a few words. The depraved, disturbed, and distorted tyrannical dictator of Pandora saw himself as a hero, trying to save the planet from what it had become. In the end though, he killed Bloodwing, so he clearly had to go.
• Gaige is a high-school girl who built a death robot for her science fair to combat bullying. She is a playable DLC character in the Mechromancer class and can summon her death robot at will. According to her Borderlands wiki page, “Gaige likes cupcakes and hot chocolate, and her favorite color is purple.”
• Krieg is a bandit that was driven insane by unknown means, but still has shreds of humanity in him. The final playable DLC character for Borderlands 2, Krieg belongs to the Psycho class, and has the shiniest meat bicycle.