2021 U.S. OLYMPIC SWIMMING TRIALS
Reported by Spencer Penland.
MEN’S 800 FREE TIMED FINALS
Fastest heat to swim with finals
- World Record: Zhang Lin (CHN) – 7:32.12 (2009)
- American Record: Michael McBroom – 7:43.60 (2013)
- US Open Record: Zane Grothe (USA) – 7:44.57 (2018)
- World Junior Record: Mack Horton (AUS) – 7:45.67 (2013)
- 2016 Olympic Champion: N/A (New Olympic event in 2021)
- 2016 US Olympic Trials Champion: N/A (New Olympic event in 2021)
- Wave I Cut: 8:12.99
- Wave II Cut: 8:08.95
It was the pair of Navy boys who got the job done, and advanced to Wave II next week. Garrett McGovern and Luke Johnson were largely in a race with each other through the 800 meters, with Joshua Brown hanging a little behind them. Neither McGovern or Johnson swam a best time, but they ultimately got the job done, advancing to the next phase of the meet. They’ll both be in the 1500 Monday as well.