Increase bat speed through underloaded training. This also makes a great warm-up drill.
- Take an old or cracked bat. Saw it off just above the trademark and attach a hand towel to the end with a corkscrew.
- Take warm-up swings with the towel bat.
- Try to snap the towel through the zone
- Swinging a light towel bat gets the fast- twitch muscle fibers to fire – you need these muscle fibers to hit a softball.
- Hitter should be “popping” her hands as she swings.
- You can use a weighted bat first to loosen up the body, then switch to the towel bat to really engage those fast-twitch muscle fibers.